AC_LANG: unknown language

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: AC_LANG: unknown language
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:14:51 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Lars!

> Please check out Guile from CVS - I tried using CVS Autoconf and Automake
> with their bootstrap a while back (not too long), and failed miserably...

Ok, I'm changing the subject line for the obvious reason.

It appears that GUILE_NAMED_CHECK_FUNC in aclocal.m4 expects AC_LANG
without arguments to expand to the name of the current language:

ifelse(AC_LANG, CPLUSPLUS, ...

This worked for Autoconf-2.13 but not for the CVS version. This feature is
not documented for Autoconf-2.13.

Anyway, C++ is called C++, not CPLUSPLUS in the current Autoconf. An
undocumented macro AC_LANG_CASE is used to do emit different code
dependent on the current language.

I cannot find any documented way to do it either in Autoconf-2.13 or in
Autoconf-CVS. Neighter can I find any common way. But I didn't try hard.

The ChangeLog states that the old AC_LANG was renamed to _AC_LANG_CURRENT
and the new AC_LANG was introduced without providing backward
compatabitity.

The same happened to CPLUSPLUS.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin