Re: Success (mostly) with the testsuite

From: David Morgan
Subject: Re: Success (mostly) with the testsuite
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 08:12:01 -0800

Hi Akim,

Akim Demaille wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Sorry for the delays.  I find it hard to understand how broken your
> expr is.  just to be sure, this refers to QNX 4.2.5 right?

No worry about the delay.

This does refer to QNX 4.2.5

> | > expr 'a' : '\(a\)' || echo failure
> |
> | Gives:
> | failure
>
> Here, $? is wrong, but the output is correct.

Correct

> | > expr 'a' : '\(b\)' && echo failure
> |
> | Gives:
> | 0
>
> Result is wrong, $? right.

Wrong explanation - no characters match so the output of 0 is correct
(At least I think so)

> | > expr 'a' : 'a' || echo failure
> |
> | Gives:
> | 1
>
> Result and $? are right.

Correct

> | > expr 'a' : 'b' && echo failure
> |
> | Gives
> | 0
>
> Result and $? are right.

Correct

> Man!  Did I miss something?  David, could you double check this is
> right?  Paul, what do you think about this?

I retested all these it appears the \( \) constructs return the wrong exit
status in 4.2.5 - it seems to always be 1.

>From what Pavel said they are fixed in Neutrino.  (The next/future release)

Hope this helps
 David