Re: AS_DIRNAME and expr

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: AS_DIRNAME and expr
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:35:46 -0800 (PST)

   Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 15:24:07 -0800
   From: David Morgan <address@hidden>

   > Sorry, I've lost context.  Why is this a problem?  If expr exits with
   > nonzero status, then AS_DIRNAME will fall back on sed, right?

   It will use the output of the expr and then append the output of the
   sed.  So we'd get a 0 . or something similar.

I see.  How about if we add an AC_PROG_EXPR that searches for a
working expr and sets EXPR to its value, or to "false" if it can't
find one.  Then AS_DIRNAME_EXPR can AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_EXPR]) and use
"$EXPR" instead of "expr".