Re: AC_PROG_CC problems on Windows with MKS Shell

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC problems on Windows with MKS Shell
Date: 19 Jan 2001 16:19:24 +0100

>>>>> "Lars" == Lars J Aas <address@hidden> writes:

Lars> No, you got the idea, except *_IF() isn't good since it's a
Lars> predicate that "evaluates" to true or false, not a macro that
Lars> has IF and IF-NOT arguments to run depending on a test...

I'm not sure what sense you'd give to true and false in our case...

Lars> In lisp/scheme, you name predicates e.g. "is-integer?" or just
Lars> "integer?".  The C convention is for Guile to use names like
Lars> SCM_INTEGER_P(value) where _P means it is a predicate.  I don't
Lars> think _P is something we should use,

That's what I would have chosen :)

Lars> and using "?" means changing the m4 word syntax, so it's
Lars> probably not an option either.  We're really left with using
Lars> IS_* to mark predicates, so something like
Lars> AS_IS_EXECUTABLE(file) would be my suggestion.

Why do you want to departure from our sh ground?

Lars> Sure, but test is in a slightly different category.  Since we're
Lars> working with non-portable flags here, is it always the case that
Lars> the flag is either supported or does not exist, or can a flag
Lars> have different meanings for different shells?

Good point, but not met yet.  In addition, we try to present a ``POSIX
interface'', or say GNU interface, which will decide what is the
``right'' flag.