Re: AC_DIVERSION_INIT and autoconf 2.52

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: AC_DIVERSION_INIT and autoconf 2.52
Date: 23 Jan 2002 09:49:37 -0700

>>>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Seefeld <address@hidden> writes:

Stefan> PS: Another thing which I find highly confusing is that aclocal
Stefan> is shipped with automake, not autoconf.
Stefan> I'm using autoconf, not automake, and I have a whole lot of
Stefan> macros such that I use aclocal to extract the used ones from a
Stefan> macro repository. What does this have to do with automake ?

We had to invent aclocal for use with automake.  I think automake was
the first source of a collection of macros outside autoconf.  In any
case, at the time aclocal was invented, autoconf was unmaintained.

In other words, it is a historical artifact.

Tom