Re: --build and --host

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Subject: Re: --build and --host
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:06:40 -0300

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Akim Demaille wrote:
> Hi!  Sorry for not having answered before, I lost this thread in the
> mass the others :(

Heh, ok.

> It was decided to make this move at the same moment as the chain of
> defaults (which was fairly incoherent) was fixed.  Because of the
> chain of defaults, many bizarre chunks of code were left to assist
> people making the transition.  But, as was to be expected, these
> pieces of code augmented the confusion, as configure answers
> incoherently to different stimuli :(

Not to mention wrong documentation...

Anyway, this is exactly what I wanted: a clear, official and final position
on the issue. Now I can act on the issue, at least.

It also means Debian will need to fork config.guess permanently so as to
force autoconf stuff to build using the correct host arch (since there seems
to be no way to sepecify a build architecture without entering
cross-compiling mode or risking weird sidefects).  Did I get that right?

  Henrique Holschuh