Re: set owner/group on FreeBSD

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Re: set owner/group on FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:01:50 -0700

At 01:31 PM 09/19/02 -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> From: Bill Moseley <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:56:20 -0700
>
>> config.status: creating Makefile
>> mv: Makefile: set owner/group (was: 1357/0): Operation not permitted
>
>You don't mention the Autoconf version.  Was your "configure" generated
>by Autoconf 2.54?  It has some fixes in that area.
>
>Autoconf 2.54 doesn't do that.  Instead, it does something like this:

 >fgrep 2.5 configure
# Generated by GNU Autoconf 2.54.
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.54.  Invocation command line was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.54.  Invocation command line was
configured by $0, generated by GNU Autoconf 2.54,

>./configure >/dev/null
mv: Makefile: set owner/group (was: 1357/0): Operation not permitted
mv: doc/Makefile: set owner/group (was: 1357/0): Operation not permitted
mv: src/Makefile: set owner/group (was: 1357/0): Operation not permitted

It's more that the file in /tmp is created with group "wheel" which I am
not a member of, so mv (cp -p across file systems) generates that message.

>tmp=$TMPDIR/cs123456
>(umask 077 && mkdir $tmp) || exit
>touch /tmp/foo
>mv /tmp/foo .
>
>Does this work around the problem for FreeBSD?

~ >umask 077 && mkdir /tmp/foo1

~ >ls -ld /tmp/foo1
drwx------  2 moseley  wheel  512 Sep 19 14:58 /tmp/foo1

~ >touch /tmp/foo1/foofile
~ >ls -ld /tmp/foo1/foofile
-rw-------  1 moseley  wheel  0 Sep 19 14:58 /tmp/foo1/foofile

~ >cp -p /tmp/foo1/foofile .
~ >ls -l foofile
-rw-------  1 moseley  moseley  0 Sep 19 14:58 foofile

~ >mv /tmp/foo1/foofile .
mv: ./foofile: set owner/group (was: 1357/0): Operation not permitted

>If not, is there
>some command you can issue after the mkdir but before the touch,
>which will fix the problem?

I'm not sure.  Could chgrp the file in /tmp before moving, I suppose, but
is that portable?

>> Other than setting TMPDIR is there a way to quiet these messages?
>
>One possibility is to use GNU mv rather than BSD mv.

This is for swish-e, an open source project.  We released a version
yesterday and people on BSD complained about that message.  I feel like the
message is harmless, but some would like to see configure run without any
warnings.  I have to explain how to run ./configure && make often enough,
so asking the user to install GNU mv might be too much.

Thanks,
--
Bill Moseley
mailto:address@hidden