Re: set owner/group on FreeBSD

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: set owner/group on FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:50:29 -0400

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 03:01:50PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> It's more that the file in /tmp is created with group "wheel" which I am
> not a member of, so mv (cp -p across file systems) generates that message.

Bitch to the FreeBSD folks about their mv that prints pedantic
error messages complaining about perfectly normal cases...

I just tried it on Solaris 7 (I had to become root and manually
chgrp the file into a group I'm not a member of, then drop back
to unprivileged for the "mv" command).  The "mv" *silently* put
the file into my default group.

I wonder what POSIX has to say about this?

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
The acronym for "the powers that be" differs by only one letter
from that for "the pointy-haired boss".