Re: set owner/group on FreeBSD

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: set owner/group on FreeBSD
Date: 24 Sep 2002 17:55:26 +0200

>> From: Akim Demaille <address@hidden> Date: 24 Sep 2002 13:45:24
>> +0200

>> As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure we need a tmp dir at all.

Paul> In other words, you're suggestiong that we should remove
Paul> AS_TMPDIR and rewrite lib/autoconf/status.m4 to put its
Paul> temporaries in the working directory rather than in /tmp?  That
Paul> would be fine with me.

Yes, that's what I mean.  But the shortest path is definitely to move
the temp dir into `.'.

Paul> As far as I can see, autoconf.texi doesn't say where "configure"
Paul> puts temporary files, or what their naming conventions are.
Paul> Perhaps this should be documented?  (I don't offhand know
Paul> exactly what the naming conventions are.)

Good point.  That's to put in a developper section.  AFAIR we work on
conftest.* only, plus a few exceptions, such as confdefs.h etc.  The
trap is a good place to look for these files.