RE: autoconf in pure MSVC environment?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: RE: autoconf in pure MSVC environment?
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:15:53 -0700

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> What version .sln files?  With version 7.0 MS introduced an XML file
> format.  Sounds good, right?  Apparently not since the XML
> file format was significantly overhauled/modified for 7.1.

If no extant codebase exists for solving the problem, then one would
start with VC7.1 as that's modern.  I know precious little about VS
build internals.  I actually have more of a background in GCC / Make,
having cut teeth on Linux many years ago.

Anyways, I'm not here to discuss how to generate .sln files.  I'm here
to discuss how one might get Autoconf working on Windows without too
many UNIXisms.  Output for GNU Make is fine.  I grudgingly accept UNIX
shells, even though I wish they could be avoided, in favor of say a Perl
installation.  Perl has Windows native versions readily available and
easy to install.

I want to avoid assumptions about UNIX compilers, *.h files, and
libraries.  That's the job.  I want Autoconf to identify what is or
isn't available on the Windows system.  I don't want *any* Cygwin or
Mingw installation polluting the system, as it's too easy to get
confused about which compiler, *.h file, or library you need to use.
The toolset to drive Autoconf should be as minimal as possible.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                - Ed Mckenzie