RE: autoconf in pure MSVC environment?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: RE: autoconf in pure MSVC environment?
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:59:46 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:

> So in addition to volunteering to do the work yourself, perhaps you
> could convince someone who is competent to become interested in your
> problem if you paid them to work on it.  As it is, you come across as
> someone who wants others to solve your problems for you for free.

"How I come across" is as much up to your personality filters as my
words.  These kinds of schisms are predictable and boring, even when I
take pains to explain the operative nature of my posts ("design first,
code later").  Further insight can be had from studying the Myers Briggs
Type Indicators.  They say a lot about how people react to various
styles of communication.
http://www.humanmetrics.com

> Also, you might have a little more success actually getting help from
> the "UNIXen" if you spent a little less time telling them how much
> they suck and how their software "pollutes" your pristine Windows
> system.

"Polluting" is for me an engineering term, meaning that the wrong
compiler, *.h file, or library is going to be picked up because the
machine has too many working parts.  It's unfortunate that you take it
as an emotional term.  I am too lazy to cross-check my usage of every
word for possible emotional content.

I am realizing that a desire to minimize the Mingw toolset may not be
practical as an aid to porting.  If so, I'll worry about enforcing
correct behavior in conjunction with MSVC.  Maybe banishing all Mingw
*.h files from the build system would be expedient.  Maybe the compiler
isn't integral to the packaging.  I will look into it.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.