Re: cvs-version - how to build it?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: cvs-version - how to build it?
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 10:07:01 -0700

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> would somebody be please to kind to tell a poor newbie how to
> bootstrap the cvs-version of autoconf.
>
> I haven't found any bootstrap script.

It is called './configure'.

> Just do 'make' fails with
> make: *** No rule to make target `Makefile.am', needed by `Makefile.in'.
> Stop.
>
> Many thanks for a hint,

If you are running 'make' and it is running then that implies to me
that it is finding the Makefile.  If you are running GNU make then it
will use GNUmakefile which should print instructions to run configure.
If the rules in that Makefile are not finding a Makefile.am then
something is really wrong there because Makefile is not checked into
cvs while Makefile.am is checked in.

I will guess that something appears to be wrong with the way you did a
cvs checkout of the autoconf sources.  How did you get them?  The
following page documents how to get the sources by CVS.

  http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=autoconf

The following command is documented there.

  CVS_RSH=ssh cvs -d :ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/autoconf co autoconf

I just verified this process and it worked for me.

  ./configure
  make

Bob