Re: Using $bindir in configure.ac

From: Magnus Therning
Subject: Re: Using $bindir in configure.ac
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:57:15 +0100

You are right, $bindir is the directory is going to be installed in.
However strange, I do have a reason for wanting to use it in my
configure.ac.

We have a set of related projects, they should all be installed in the
same locations. The executable I need AC_PATH_PROGRAM to find is
installed by one of the projects, and needed in building several of the
other projects. I thought it would be nice to not force the user to
modify $PATH before building by adding $bindir to the path that's
searched by AC_PATH_PROGRAM.

/M

Magnus Therning                 Philips Research Laboratories Eindhoven
Phone: +31 40 2745179           (OpenPGP: 0x4FBB2C40)

In my opinion, shareware tends to combine the worst of commercial software
(no sources) with the worst of free software (no finishing touches). I
simply do not believe in the shareware market at all.
     -- Linus Torvalds