Re: Fwd: Re: [Mingw-users] Autoconf MSYS_PREFIX_HACK

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Mingw-users] Autoconf MSYS_PREFIX_HACK
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:15:50 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Keith Marshall wrote:

Well, if by the "Bourne shell" you mean MSYS' Bourne shell, (which is
actually `bash' masquerading as `sh'), I think you are mistaken.  I *never*
specify paths with backslashes, when using this shell, even to invoke native
Win32 programs, and I have not had any problem as a result.  Indeed, it is
*only* if I try to use *backslashes* -- to show someone else how *bad* they
are -- that I have ever experienced a problem.

Good for you!

The Windows operating system uses backslash as its native directory separator. When building native Windows applications (e.g. using MinGW) it seems most useful to embed path information which is compatible with the operating system.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn