Re: Fwd: Re: [Mingw-users] Autoconf MSYS_PREFIX_HACK

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Mingw-users] Autoconf MSYS_PREFIX_HACK
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:36:07 +0100

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 9:15 pm, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Keith Marshall wrote:
> > Well, if by the "Bourne shell" you mean MSYS' Bourne shell, (which is
> > actually `bash' masquerading as `sh'), I think you are mistaken.  I
> > *never* specify paths with backslashes, when using this shell, even to
> > invoke native Win32 programs, and I have not had any problem as a result.
> >  Indeed, it is *only* if I try to use *backslashes* -- to show someone
> > else how *bad* they are -- that I have ever experienced a problem.
>
> Good for you!
>
> The Windows operating system uses backslash as its native directory
> separator.  When building native Windows applications (e.g. using
> MinGW) it seems most useful to embed path information which is
> compatible with the operating system.

A popular misconception, among Windoze developers!

And if you were to monitor the MinGW-users list on SourceForge, you would
know why this is a *bad* idea, when you are using MSYS/MinGW as a UNIXy
development environment, to build native Win32 applications -- remember GNU
autotools are primarily UNIX development tools.  If you want to do everything
Bill's way, then use his tools!

Don't bother to reply; if sarcasm is your only recourse, I'm not listening
any more.

Regards,
Keith.