Re: macro reuse

From: Familie Porschberg
Subject: Re: macro reuse
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 23:56:25 +0200

Am Mon, 22 May 2006 16:28:21 +0200
schrieb Stepan Kasal <address@hidden>:

> it would help if you posted some example code.  Preferably a pointer
> to a small self-contained example, but simple pointer to a tarball of
> your project might be enough.

Hello,

sometime ago I wrote:
http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/ax_boost.html

It is a "all-in-one macro" it checks for several boost libraries.
Now one user of the macro mailed me that he only uses a tiny
part of boost and most tests are simply a waste of time for him.
My idea was therefore to split the macro in multiple small macros,
one base macro which checks the version and sets the include directory
(a lot of boost is template library stuff)and for every compiled library
an extra macro.

I uploaded http://randspringer.de/boost/shared_ptr-01.tar.gz.
Under config/m4 there are 3 macros:

- ax_boost_base.m4
- ax_boost_date_time.m4
- ax_boost_program_options.m4

ax_boost_date_time.m4 and ax_boost_program_options.m4 call
ax_boost_base.m4 inside.
AX_BOOST_BASE could be called standalone or indirectly via
AX_BOOST_PROGRAM_OPTIONS, AX_BOOST_DATE_TIME.

In configure.ac I call
AX_BOOST_PROGRAM_OPTIONS([1.33.1])
AX_BOOST_DATE_TIME([1.33.1])

With the code above I have the following problems:

1.
I can pass a directory parameter to all three macros at configure time
(the root dir of boost). When I call e.g.
./configure --with-boost-date-time=/usr/local
How could I then pass "/usr/local/" to AX_BOOST_BASE inside
AX_BOOST_DATE_TIME ?

(I could declare a second parameter for AX_BOOST_BASE which should be
not not public but only used if the macro is called from another boost
macro but is it OK ?)

2.
./configure --help lists also the help-string for ax_boost_base.m4
although the macro is only called indirectly by ax_boost_date_time.m4
respectively ax_boost_program_options.m4.

I'm curious about your ideas.

Thomas