Re: macro reuse

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: macro reuse
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:16:20 +0100

Ralf Wildenhues wrote, quoting me:
>> Isn't it likely that, the problem here is that parameters cannot be
>> passed to an AC_REQUIREd macro?
>
> That is not strictly true.  It'd undocumented (and as such you shouldn't
> rely on it), but you can
>   AC_REQUIRE([FOO], [FOO([arg])])

Hmm.  Autoconf 2.59 documentation *explicitly* states:
|- Macro: AC_REQUIRE (MACRO-NAME)
|     If the M4 macro MACRO-NAME has not already been called, call it
|     (without any arguments).  Make sure to quote MACRO-NAME with
|     square brackets.  ...

This suggested usage isn't simply undocumented; it actually conflicts
with explicitly documented behaviour.  Even if is is possible, (and I've
no doubt that it is), do you really consider it wise to even suggest it,
particularly since you also caution that it should not be relied on?

Regards,
Keith.