Re: macro reuse

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: macro reuse
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:24:41 +0200

Hi Keith,

* Keith MARSHALL wrote on Tue, May 23, 2006 at 10:16:20AM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote, quoting me:
> >
> > That is not strictly true.  It'd undocumented (and as such you shouldn't
> > rely on it), but you can
> >   AC_REQUIRE([FOO], [FOO([arg])])
>
> Hmm.  Autoconf 2.59 documentation *explicitly* states:
> |- Macro: AC_REQUIRE (MACRO-NAME)
> |     If the M4 macro MACRO-NAME has not already been called, call it
> |     (without any arguments).  Make sure to quote MACRO-NAME with
> |     square brackets.  ...

> This suggested usage isn't simply undocumented; it actually conflicts
> with explicitly documented behaviour.  Even if is is possible, (and I've
> no doubt that it is), do you really consider it wise to even suggest it,
> particularly since you also caution that it should not be relied on?

I'm not suggesting it.  The OP should definitely not use it.
Sorry for mentioning it.  I merely wanted to avoid somebody
"finding that information" in the Autoconf source code, and
using it.  So I warned against it that it's not to be relied
on.

Enough warning signs now?

To be even more explicit: we would like that the users of
Autoconf *only* rely on interfaces documented in autoconf.info.