Re: beginner problem in Solaris

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Re: beginner problem in Solaris
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:16:17 +0200

Quoting Joao Miguel Ferreira <address@hidden>:
Hello all,

Hello Joao Miguel,

[...]
It works great on Linux and on HP-UX, but on Solaris I get this error
during the "make" phase:

---------------------------------------
gcc -shared -Wl,-h -Wl,libbabel.so.0
-o .libs/libbabel.so.0.0.0  .libs/langs.o
.libs/lang_en.o .libs/lang_pt.o .libs/lang_fr.o  -lc
(cd .libs && rm -f libbabel.so.0 && ln -s libbabel.so.0.0.0
libbabel.so.0)

(cd .libs && rm -f libbabel.so && ln -s libbabel.so.0.0.0 libbabel.so)
#all above works
#here is the error
false cru .libs/libbabel.a  langs.o lang_en.o lang_pt.o lang_fr.o

make[1]: *** [libbabel.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/jmf/testes/libbabel-0.1'

I can confirm that the problem should be in the "false cru ..." line
because all the above stuff gets done. On Linux and on HP-UX I read the
word "ar" instead of "false" on that line ?!?

I should also add that the Solaris machine was installed yesterday by me
and possibly I forgot to install something ??! :(

You're missing `ar'. This program creates archives used for static libraries. You should review your `config.log' created by `configure' where you will most likely see a failure where `configure' tries to find or use `ar'. This failure may help you guess what's wrong.

Does it work if you manually run the command:
  ar cru .libs/libbabel.a  langs.o lang_en.o lang_pt.o lang_fr.o
In the folder `/export/home/jmf/testes/libbabel-0.1'? If it does, then maybe `configure' did not find `ar' because of a PATH problem. Look at where `ar' is and check your PATH. If the command does not work, it looks like your toolchain is either b0rken (if it's GCC -- which it seems to be according to what you posted) or exotic. Try to re-install it.

If you're still stuck you should consider posting your `config.log'.

Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory