beginner problem in Solaris

From: Joao Miguel Ferreira
Subject: beginner problem in Solaris
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:05:15 +0100

Hello all,

I'm tryng to compile my first helloworld LIB with Autotools. I need to
work in Linux, HP-UX and Solaris. I have compiled a very simple hello
worl application and it works on 3 platforms.

Now I've writen a simple LIB to print out Hello in 3 diferent languages.

It works great on Linux and on HP-UX, but on Solaris I get this error
during the "make" phase:

---------------------------------------
gcc -shared -Wl,-h -Wl,libbabel.so.0
-o .libs/libbabel.so.0.0.0  .libs/langs.o
.libs/lang_en.o .libs/lang_pt.o .libs/lang_fr.o  -lc
(cd .libs && rm -f libbabel.so.0 && ln -s libbabel.so.0.0.0
libbabel.so.0)

(cd .libs && rm -f libbabel.so && ln -s libbabel.so.0.0.0 libbabel.so)
#all above works
#here is the error
false cru .libs/libbabel.a  langs.o lang_en.o lang_pt.o lang_fr.o

make[1]: *** [libbabel.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/jmf/testes/libbabel-0.1'

I can confirm that the problem should be in the "false cru ..." line
because all the above stuff gets done. On Linux and on HP-UX I read the
word "ar" instead of "false" on that line ?!?

I should also add that the Solaris machine was installed yesterday by me
and possibly I forgot to install something ??! :(

Can anyone help me out ?
thx

Joao