Re: autoconf from cvs

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: autoconf from cvs
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:13:10 +0100

Alexander Kahl <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have an equal problem with autoconf from git. Like Patrick I got autoconf
> (GNU Autoconf) UNKNOWN and because of that other software projects won't
> compile.
>
> I tried echo 2.61a.2.61a.299-9066 > .version in autoconf dir but autoconf
> doesn't seem to use it (maybe I did something wrong).

That should work.
Have you updated recently?
There were missing dependencies until a week or so ago
that would make it so a new version string did not propagate
through the code.

Here's how I've just tested it:

  $ build-aux/git-version-gen . .version; echo
  2.61a.300-5ccf
  $ cd /tmp
  $ $OLDPWD/build-aux/git-version-gen . .version; echo
  2.61a.299-9066

But before doing that, be sure to get the latest, since
git-version-gen's API changed recently, too.