Optimizing repeated calls to AC_TRY_LINK

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Optimizing repeated calls to AC_TRY_LINK
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 02:05:50 +0100

Hi list,
I have a problem with my boost.m4 macro: it's too slow. Boost is being very unhelpful because it can be installed in many different places and the libraries can have many different names. So what I do is that I create all the reasonably possible library names and then try to link against each of them for each usual install path (/usr/ local/lib, /usr/lib, /opt/local/lib, C:/Boost/lib, etc.). Even though I skip all non existing paths and everything, I end up doing several calls to AC_TRY_LINK before I correctly guess the right combination of flags to use. The macro is *much* more reliable than other existing macros but embarrassingly slow. Someone suggested something very simple: why not compile conftest.o once and then try various combinations of flags to link it? After all, it's the compilation step that takes time (C++, Boost, you know...). Unfortunately, I think this is impossible to achieve with current Autoconf, because all macros always endup cleaning conftest. $ac_objext. I had to work around this and fiddle with Autoconf internals (Forgive me Lord For the wrongs I have done: http:// repo.or.cz/w/boost.m4.git?a=commit;h=7e5098a) and I'd like to avoid that.

What do you think?
A. Autoconf can be enhanced to do this sort of thing (what should be the interface? who's in charge of cleaning conftest.$ac_objext?) B. Seldom use-case with possibly dangerous effects: learn to live with it.
  C. You will burn in Hell for having profaned Autoconf's internals.
  D. The answer D.

Comments welcome.

Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory