Re: Which variable expands to /var?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Which variable expands to /var?
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 17:09:23 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

I'm not sure I understand.  With this config.site file, you still have
to `./configure --prefix=/usr' in order for the changes to apply.  But
then, even without the config.site file, users will generally overwrite
packages tools.

That is a good point. In that case, then having the pre-installed config.site under /usr/share is a good idea since at least it assures that files go in the same general places as the existing install.

Of course I agree that default config.site files are problematic for the
plain reason that they alter behavior in a way not documented by --help.

Yes, I recall that at one time MinGW's MSYS included a config.site which was designed to tweak the settings for one particular version of libtool. The CONFIG_SITE variable was set by default to use it. It caused more harm than good.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn