Re: detecting windows

From: Olaf Lenz
Subject: Re: detecting windows
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 10:52:23 +0100

Hi!

On 02/03/2012 10:45 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Is that a joke?  The trouble is, that autoconf requires a shell
and M4, which Windows doesn't provide (only in Cygwin). So MS
Windows is detected when autoconf/configure does not run...

Very witty :-) No, it's not a joke.  I don't want to detect the
compiler or the build environment, but I want a macro which detects
the Windows GUI abilities, similar to macro which detects the
availability of X11, regardless of the platform.

I did not try to be witty. I was really wondering whether the question
was meant as a joke.
The problem of detecting MS Windows with autoconf is much deeper than
not having a macro for it. You simply cannot run autoconf on MS Windows,
as it requires other tools that are not available on Windows, so there
is no macro to detect it.
Or are you talking of Cygwin?

Olaf
--
Dr. rer. nat. Olaf Lenz
Institut für Computerphysik, Pfaffenwaldring 27, D-70569 Stuttgart