Re: detecting windows

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: detecting windows
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 11:06:41 +0100

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Olaf Lenz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi!
>

> On 02/03/2012 10:45 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>>>
>>> Is that a joke?  The trouble is, that autoconf requires a shell
>>> and M4, which Windows doesn't provide (only in Cygwin). So MS
>>> Windows is detected when autoconf/configure does not run...
>>

>> Very witty :-) No, it's not a joke.  I don't want to detect the
>> compiler or the build environment, but I want a macro which detects
>> the Windows GUI abilities, similar to macro which detects the
>> availability of X11, regardless of the platform.
>

> I did not try to be witty. I was really wondering whether the question
> was meant as a joke.
> The problem of detecting MS Windows with autoconf is much deeper than
> not having a macro for it. You simply cannot run autoconf on MS Windows,
> as it requires other tools that are not available on Windows, so there
> is no macro to detect it.
> Or are you talking of Cygwin?

MSYS exists too ;) (though MSYS is based on cygwin code).

Werner: when using autotools with MSYS or when cross compiling on
linux, I check the host. Something like that in configure.ac:

AC_CANONICAL_HOST

have_windows="no"
case "$host_os" in
   mingw*)
      have_windows="yes"
   ;;
esac

Note that this also detects Windows CE gcc cross compiler.

regards

Vincent Torri