Re: Getting srcdir in script executed using m4_esyscmd in AC_INIT

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Getting srcdir in script executed using m4_esyscmd in AC_INIT
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 07:43:30 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021, Zack Weinberg wrote:

Something which surprises me is that the distribution tarballs became
noticeably larger.

This is expected. The bulk of the increase is probably due to the test
programs used to probe for C and/or C++ 2011 support in the compilers.
There were also some fixes for compatibility problems that involved
emitting more code throughout the script. I can explain the
rationale for any piece of the diff between the old and new configure
scripts that you're curious about.

To be clear, the size difference was intended to be due to the list of parameters passed to AC_INIT and AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE and re-autotooling. In fact this is still using Autoconf 2.69.

Something I found which surprised me is that Automake has added a GNU COPYING file to my non-GNU non-GPL package. Once the file appeared in the source directory, it seems that it continued to be used and included in spite of the Automake options provided.

While I see more detail sprinkled around the generated files, it seems that this COPYING file may be the biggest issue.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/