"make dist" calls "autoheader" ? duh...

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: "make dist" calls "autoheader" ? duh...
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:22:18 +0200

As many of us, I use an extra prefix for the latest in autotools
development. To remake, I just switch the PATH, so that the latest
in autoconf/automake/libtool etc is found, including its autoheader.

After that, I did want to "configure && make" for the standard system,
and I did like to package the stuff using "make dist". This one fails
with a call to "autoheader" that says "configure.in not found". WELL,
this is now routed through "missing" so that it does not actually
do an exit at that point. Instead the call to the system's autoheader
has created an almost-empty config.h.in which is going to be silently
put into the tarball, ready to hit the next user who wants to build
from source.

I did now try for hours to get an idea *why* "make dist" wants to
remake config.h.in, but I just don't know. Has anyone an idea? Among
the problems is that I can not reproduce it reliably, it seems to
happen every two (!!) invokations of calling-autotools plus
configure&&make plus make-dist. Any hint why that can be?

Note that you have a good chance to miss the bug, so it may be going
on under your hands too, possibly you still have a configure.in
instead of configure.ac. Can anyone see the same scheme (?) - just try
to go a few rounds calling with "make dist AUTOHEADER=false" in old'
system mode, may be you can see it too.

Currently I am going to ship a configure.ac that will suppress the
settings of AUTO* if no --enable-mainter-mode was seen, so that
atleast it does not stab nice people in the back. Oh, btw, I'm still
on autoconf-2.50, and it is atleast seen in both automake-1.4f and h.

-- guido                         Edel sei der Mensch, hilfreich und gut
31:GCS/E/S/P C++$++++ ULHS L++w- N++@  d(+-) s+a- h.r(*@)>+++ y++ 5++X-