Feature request: Propagating AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Feature request: Propagating AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:04:00 +0200

Hi,

Setting AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS in a toplevel Makefile.am only affects the
toplevel directory's configuration, but does not affect
subdirectories configured by a configure script (I am referring to
those Makefile.ins directly generated by a configure.in, here, not
to subdirectories to be configured by AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS).

Therefore, one currently has to set AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS in each
Makefile.am individually, if wanting the same AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS to be
used throughout all Makefile.ams in a source-tree.

What I would like to see implemented is having a means to set
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS (or similar) at a single, global location for a
whole source-tree.
Eg. to let the toplevel Makefile.am's AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS be propagated
into subdirectory Makefile.in or to add some autoconf magic for this
purpose (AM_AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS(...)).

Opinions, comments?