Re: auto-regenerating Makefile.in and Makefile files

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: auto-regenerating Makefile.in and Makefile files
Date: 09 Jul 2002 10:06:41 +0200

>>>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

>>>>> "Earnie" == Earnie Boyd <address@hidden> writes:
Earnie> Wouldn't this work anyway because you had to change the
Earnie> top-level Makefile.am or configure.in to include the new
Earnie> SUBDIR?  I.E.: Makefile.in : Makefile.am configure.in

Tom> The problem is that the Makefile always runs config.status to
Tom> recreate just a single Makefile (the current one).  The question
Tom> is: what Makefile decides to generate the new Makefile for the
Tom> first time?  Or, for that matter, the new Makefile.in?

BTW, Automake still does not take full advantage of the current
config.status.  It could perfectly well have foo/Makefile have a
trampoline to top_builddir/Makefile which would recreate all the
obsolete Makefile (and config.h etc.) at once:

~/src/ace % ./config.status bin/Makefile tests/Makefile tests/autoconf
config.status: creating bin/Makefile
config.status: creating tests/Makefile
config.status: creating tests/autoconf