back to directory dependencies

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: back to directory dependencies
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:12:45 +0200

Hello,

some time ago I asked a question on how to specify directory
dependencies. At that time I solved the problem by leaving just the
top-level Makefile.am and building all targets (binaries, libraries,
test programs) from it. In this way, I could specify explicit
dependencies between the binaries and libraries, no matter in which
directory they were located.

Now I want to integrate several project into the build system. The
directory hierarchy looks like this:

doc
drv
drv/d1
drv/d2
lib
lib/l1
lib/l2
src1
src2

d1, d2, l1, l2, src1, src2 are existing projects with Makefile or
configure.ac / Makefile.am. I want to leave them as they are and write a
Makefile that would build them in the necessary order according to the
dependencies.

So, how can I specify the build dependencies?

I could do something like that with a Makefile:

src1: l1
        mkdir -p src1; \
        cd src1; \
        $(SRC)/configure; \
        make; \
        cd ..

l1:
        mkdir -p lib/l1; \
        cd lib/l1; \
        $(SRC)/configure; \
        make; \
        cd ../..

But I want to use the advantages of autotools, like not having to
specify SRC on the command line, not having to create the directories in
the builddir, passing configure arguments to downstream configure
scripts (I need, e.g., CFLAGS and --host).

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance,
Baurzhan.