Re: Automake 1.11.2b test release

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Automake 1.11.2b test release
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:37:39 +0100

On 01/27/2012 05:43 PM, Peter Rosin wrote:
> Stefano Lattarini skrev 2012-01-27 17:16:
>> On 01/27/2012 03:18 PM, Peter Rosin wrote:
> *snip*
>>> And here's from Cygwin "1.7.10s(0.259/5/3) 20120123" (latest snapshot, with
>>> release candidate "quality", 1.7.10 is coming RSN, as they say).
>>>
>>> lzma.test fails for the same reason as above in MinGW,
>>>
>> Maybe it would be nice to start working around this before the release,
>> by exporting "XZ_DEFAULTS=--memlimit=150MiB" in the environment?  If yes,
>> extra points to whoever beats me at doing so ;-)
>
> I'm not bothered enough, sorry, and there should be a way for the user
> to override in case 150MiB (or whatever we select) is not appropriate, so
> some care has to be taken...

Well, the lzma compression has been deprecated in favour of xz/lzip already,
and the lzma support will be removed in automake 1.12 anyway; so I say we
stop worrying about this issue until we see a bug report from a "real world"
user, OK?

> What I don't get is what the f/#ยค they are doing stumbling over memory
> issues when compressing what could best be described as tiny files, at
> least compared to the memory that is available.  Crappy.
>
>>> and transform2.test is an old known failure.
>>>
>> Has this already been reported in details and/or analysed?
>
> There's this:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2010-08/msg00097.html

Thanks for the link.  What do you think of the workaround provided by the
attached patch?  Good to go before 1.11.3?

>>> JFTR, my TeX install has been corrected with a tiny
>>> patch (that has been mentioned previously on the Automake lists).
>>>
>> And I seem to recall you had reported the issue upstream to the Cygwin
>> list as well ...  Hasn't it been fixed yet?
>
> Nope, not that I know of.  Perhaps time for a ping...
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-11/msg00393.html

Thanks,
  Stefano