Re: distcheck does 'chmod a-w' - leads to mkdir "permission denied"

From: Paul Jakma
Subject: Re: distcheck does 'chmod a-w' - leads to mkdir "permission denied"
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 15:48:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Nick Bowler wrote:

This includes running 'make dist' from such a source tree.

Yeah makes sense, and it's a good thing, and I'd like to fix it.

But I'm struggling to see where the issue is - whether it's something in our rules, or some bug in some automake macro somewhere (e.g. texinfo, as other post suggested).

It looks to me like you have a problem where some build rule is trying
to write to srcdir (this is a common way to write rules when distributing
generated files) This probably means you have a timestamp problem in
your distribution tarball (e.g., some distributed files are older than
their source files).

Hmm, that's generated via 'make dist' though, so that shouldn't happen?

Expected behaviour on a freshly unpacked tarball is that all such
generated files are up to date, and therefore no build rules will
attempt to update them.

It's doc/quagga.info it is trying to create - a generated file, which we don't keep in the git repo. If I go back up to the main doc dir and 'make quagga.info' so it is guaranteed to be up to date, and then go back up to the top-dir and do 'make distcheck' it fails again the exact same way - but the file in the source _is_ up to date:

make[4]: Entering directory '/home/paul/code/quagga/quagga-1.2.0/_build/sub/doc'
  MAKEINFO ../../../doc/quagga.info
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘.am8211’: Permission denied
could not open ../../../doc/quagga.texi: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: line 16: cd: ../../../doc: No such file or directory
..
$ cd doc # in the top-level repo
$ make quagga.info
make: 'quagga.info' is up to date.