Re: make check(s) pre-release problems

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: make check(s) pre-release problems
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 08:00:18 -0700

On Thu, Oct 6, 2022 at 1:28 PM Karl Berry <karl@freefriends.org> wrote:

>     No errors on RHEL7+autoconf2.71
>
> Puzzling. Can you easily try RHEL8 or one of its derivatives?
> It surprises me that that is the culprit, but it seems possible.
>
> I'm using autoconf-2.71, make-4.3, etc., compiled from source, but am
> using the OS-provided coreutils. I think I'll try compiling that from
> source.

My problem, at least on F36 was that I'd been using a version of GNU
make I probably built from git around July 11, 2021(!) -- "-v" reports
4.3.90, which is not helpful - I would have preferred to know the
commit.
Once I installed the official 4.3.90, that made it so all of HACKING's
pre-release commands pass for me:
    make bootstrap
    make -j12 check keep_testdirs=yes
    make maintainer-check
    make -j12 distcheck                                # regular distcheck
    make -j12 distcheck AM_TESTSUITE_MAKE="make -j$j"  # parallelize makes
    make -j12 check-no-trailing-backslash-in-recipes
    make -j12 check-cc-no-c-o

FTR, using autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.72a.57-8b5e2