Re: make check(s) pre-release problems

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: make check(s) pre-release problems
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 12:39:23 -0400

Please don't top-post on this mailing list.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2022, at 12:15 PM, Frederic Berat wrote:

>>> Puzzling. Can you easily try RHEL8 or one of its derivatives?
>>> It surprises me that that is the culprit, but it seems possible.
>>
>> Unfortunately, no.
>
> I don't know if that will help, or if that is completely unrelated,
> but I'm currently stumbling into a weird issue while working on a
> new package release for autoconf on Fedora: about 200 tests are now
> failing, all related to aclocal checks.
>
> My current investigation shows that it would be related to a bash
> update from 5.1.x to 5.2x which seems to have changed the behavior
> of the "SHLVL" shell variable.

This is a known issue, fixed on Autoconf development trunk, see
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/commit/?id=412166e185c00d6eacbe67dfcb0326f622ec4020

I intend to make a bugfix release of Autoconf in the near future.

> I actually wonder if your sudden "parallelism" failure could be
> somehow linked to an update of bash, similar to mine ?

It's certainly possible.

zw