[avr-chat] Linux : any good ASCII terminal ?

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: [avr-chat] Linux : any good ASCII terminal ?
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:52:59 +0200

Hi everyone,

I am running into a little problem.
So far I used a program called 'gtkterm' for my ASCII termnial needs, as
it's simple to use and designed by an electronic guy for electronic
guys, so has all the features we need (even let you select the terminal
color, in case you have a fetish for green or amber more than B&W for
exmaple... :-), and no more.
Except today, I am trying to display a nicely formatted table, using the
dedicated extended characters, from 179 up to 218. Problem is that
gtkterm don't want to display them, so the table is invisible...

Problem is that as far as I can see, this program is not maintained
anymore since 2 years, so I guess it's pointless to e-mail the developer
about it.

So, if anyone has a recommendation for an alternative ASCII terminal
programme that could display all characters including extended ones, and
react properly on all control characters too (< 32 ie), I have my ears
wiiide opened to your suggestions. :-)

I heard about 'minicom', but I gather it's more complex, more targeted
at modems than embedded systems like gtkterm was/is, although if no
other suggestion arises I will of course evaluate minicom...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions ! :-)

Regards,

--
Vince

PS : I doubt I will have that much choice, but just in case, I would
prefer a Gtk/Gnome program...