Re: [avr-chat] ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 06:38:25 +0100

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 05:11 +0100, Peter Fuhrmann wrote:
> I use the same settings for CKOPT and CKSELwith a Meag32, and it work fine.
> There mgith be another chance: I guess Your Atmega just doesnt like your
> Chrystal, so you could try using anotherone, maybe from some old hardware
> that you've got flying around anyway.

Ah, thanks. I tried another crystal (same model though), no luck. Maybe
the capacitors (22pf) are too big, I bought 15pf ones just in case, will
try them...
If the clock/fuse bits are correct, I guess it will eventually work, if
I try enough capacitors/crystal combinations...

> Or you Programm a second Atmel to
> generate a 100kHz clock or something, and inject it to the XTAL1 pin of the
> not working Atmel. I was often able to rescue mine that way

Oh, thanks for that ! I just used my function generator to send a 1MHz
clock to the XTAL1 pin, and the AVR is working again, and avrdude can
talk to it ! :-)  Phew, I have it back then...

> You might need to tell your programming software to be slower than normal
> then,

Didn't even need to... apparently from 400KHz up, avrdude can talk to
the AVR reliably, 350KHz works 50% of the time, and 300KHz and lower,
doesn't work. I set my function generator to 1MHz to be safe. My
generator is a bit old and at that frequency the square wave looks more
like a sine, but somehow the AVR is happy with it... who said digital
circuits were picky...

> but I think you know how to do that.

He he, you have a got a good memory... ;-)

Regards,

--
Vince