Re: [avr-chat] ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:54:34 +0100

> There is some magic to making crystals oscillate. Not all crystals
> are alike. Motorola/Freescale is very good about spec'ing crystals,
> Atmel is sloppy. Wrote to Atmel once asking and was told the page
> number to consult in the manual for setting oscillator fuses. Wrong
> answer. I wanted to know, "Series, parallel, A/T cut, drive level,
> capacitance, etc?"
>
> --
> David Kelly

Yep, when I ordered the crystals from Farnell (or RS, can't remember,
when it's not one, it's the other...), I was overwhelmed by the various
kinds of models that were available, and since I didn't learn enough
about crystals at school to make an informed decision, and since as you
noticed, the Atmel data sheet makes you believe that all crystals are
equal, well, I just ordered the cheapest 16MHz one they had to offer...

--
Vince