Re: [avr-chat] fbprg programmer

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] fbprg programmer
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:51:29 -0500

Hi Robert,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 09:59:18PM -0500, Robert Paskowitz wrote:

> I have a 'fbprg' parallel programmer that roughly has the circuit
> diagram found at http://www.qsl.net/ba1fb/fbprg.gif (roughly because
> it has a couple indicator LEDs on it). I made a custom programmer
> difinition for it in avrdude.conf, but can't seem to get it working
> (under linux), it never gets past the initialization. Has anyone
> else used this programmer, or have any advice on how to fix the
> problem?

Looks like this programmer is intended to drive the crystal / clock
input of the chip.  Avrdude is not written to supply that signal.

Instead of connecting the XTAL1 pin of the target chip to the parallel
port, instead connect a seperate oscillator - crystal + caps or
resonator, etc.  After that, try again to enter programming mode.

Also, if you utilize a chip with a built-in oscillator, the fuse bits
should be set by default to use the internal 1 MHz setting in most
cases, so in that case, the external oscillator is not necessary.
Check your chip's datasheet to see if this applies in your situation.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
ATmega128 based MAVRIC controllers