Re: [avr-chat] fbprg programmer

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] fbprg programmer
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 06:57:47 +0100 (MET)

address@hidden wrote:

> It looks like fbprg assumes that the computer will send the clock
> signal on one of the parallel outputs.  I don't know how to make
> avrdude do this.

avrdude cannot do this (by now -- it might be a worthwhile addition if
someone wanted to contribute that).

> Supplying vcc from the parallel port seems like an iffy proposition
> at best.

I've been using that frequently in the past, even on a laptop (which
supposedly has weaker outputs than typical desktop machines), but I've
been tieing four pins together with Schottky diodes.  That has proven
sufficient to deliver the few mA needed for the AVR, but I couldn't
drive any LEDs with it (even though they are available on that
programmer).  The AVR doesn't require 5 V for being programmed.