Re: [avr-chat] USB AVR programmer?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] USB AVR programmer?
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:32:39 +0100 (MET)

"Royce Pereira" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Can any one recommend a AVR programmer using the USB port? I need
> something I can build myself, not buy commercially.

There's Atmel's original device AVRISP mkII.  You can use it both with
the Atmel tools (avrprog.exe?) as well as with AVRDUDE.  From what
I've noticed in various forums, they are probably somewhat hard to get
hold of these days.

Then there's Matthias Weißer's USBisp project, a do-it-yourself
programmer where he offers the full circuit diagram, the firmware as
opensource, and sells the PCBs for little money:

http://www.matwei.de/doku.php?id=en:electronics:usbisp

The firmware talks STK500 protocol (either V1 or V2), so it's also
compatible with both tools.

If you look out at avrfreaks.net, there's a guy who turned an AVR
butterfly into a programmer using a specially crafted firmware
(buttload).  This is RS-232, not USB, but should work using a standard
USB-RS-232 converter.