Re: OT: Soldering SMDs (was Re: [avr-chat] isp-usb)

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: OT: Soldering SMDs (was Re: [avr-chat] isp-usb)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:50:14 -0500

Erik Christiansen wrote:
> One day I must try the upturned (clothes) iron method ...

I tried that.  It took a really long time and I became concerned that I was
reducing the strength of the bond between the copper traces and the PCB with
the long hot time.  It works better in conjunction with a hot-air tool made
from a desoldering tool and a fish-tank air pump.  As you pass the hot air
over individual joints they reflow while the overall temperature can be kept
down.  But, once you have a whole-PCB-at-once method, you won't go back.

I guess I need to try the skillet!  This could also have the problem of
overheating the PCB and reducing the bond strength, especially with the
higher temperatures I'll need for lead-free solder.  But, it does look as if
the parts will be cooler than the heat-from-above of the toaster oven.  I
don't have a melting problem and one of my products is double-sided, so I'll
put this experiment on the back burner (back burner ... get it?).

Graham.