Re: OT: Soldering SMTs (was Re: [avr-chat] isp-usb)

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: OT: Soldering SMTs (was Re: [avr-chat] isp-usb)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:50:39 -0500

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 03:12:03PM -0500, Graham Davies wrote:

> I seem to recall that this was one of the Web resources that
> inspired me to brave SMT technology.  Brian and I have also rapped
> off-line on paste, stencils and toaster ovens.  In particular, I now
> insist on the thinnest stencil, 4 mils, and this gives me great
> results.  I also agree with his recommendation for soldering
> temperature.  I set my Weller WESD51 at 350 degrees Celsius for
> pretty much anything.

Yep - I also did the toaster oven thing with mixed results.  I think
we concluded my stencils were probably a little too thick.  I see
Stencils Unlimited now offers them 4-mil for a little extra.  That's
probably money well spent.  It's on my list to dust this off again at
some point and have another go.

Cheers,
-Brian
--