Re: [avr-chat] Li-ion cell phone batteries

From: Blake Leverett
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Li-ion cell phone batteries
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:03:10 -0600

I don't know where you can buy the connector - try Digikey first - but I will
caution you to be VERY careful with Li-ion batteries.  Many people have
burned down their houses, cars, and garages messing with these things.

LiIon batteries are pretty safe, until you damage it (drop it or accidentally
poke it).  I have a friend who accidentally punctured one with a screwdriver,
and it caused a fire he could not put out - water only made it worse.
Luckily it was in a sink and he finally got a fire extinguisher to put it
out.

Also, charging the battery incorrectly is very likely to cause a fire.  Make
sure you use a LiIon charger, and don't leave it charging unattended.

The RC community (guys playing with model planes and cars) have learned that
the only safe place for an unattended LiIon battery is in a fire-proof
container, like a bucket of sand, with the batteries under half the sand.  No
kidding.

I know that your laptop and cellphone have a LiIon battery and they are very
safe.  But having one on the bench running around loose, and being manually
charged, is a potentially dangerous situation.

See these pages for some pictures:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140641
http://www.laureanno.com/RC/fire-pics.htm

Sorry to be so pushy about this, but most EE's don't know how dangerous these
things can be.  So just be careful, and don't leave it sitting around on a
wooden table while it charges.

Blake