Re: [avr-chat] Li-ion cell phone batteries

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Li-ion cell phone batteries
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:09:24 -0400

On Saturday 29 March 2008 12:11:49 am Robert L Cochran wrote:

> Thank you, I think I'll buy a Battery Bunker
> http://www.batterybunker.com/index.php?page=products

No!  Invest in a good lab bench or even a bad lab bench power supply.

Unless you know what your doing with Lithium batteries don't do *ANYTHING*
with Lithium batteries!

Don't underestimate the danger of Lithium Batteries.
As soon as something safer of equivlent energy density is readily available
they will be outlawed.  There are already increasing restructions
on how they can be transported.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&site=unclesam&restrict=unclesam&hl=en&output=unclesam&q=Lithium+Battery+Transport+of+Dangerous+Goods&btnG=Search

Some industries such as Coal Mining have extremely restrictive
regulations on the use of Lithium batteries.  Others are catching
up to that level.
http://www.wearablesmartsensors.com/msha_rules.html
See section 4.9 on page 19 of the FAQ.

As was already mentioned don't put out a Lithium fire with water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium

> And worst of all, I'm not an electrical engineer...I'm just an assembly
> language programmer struggling to understand circuits...but I sure like
> playing with them!

http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits
From the XCircuit web page: "Tony Kuphaldt's Lessons In Electric Circuits, a
sweeping electronics textbook available for free download from ibiblio.org.
This online textbook is an excellent introduction to electric and electronic
circuits, generously peppered with schematics, illustrations of project
plugboards, and photographs."

--
                http://www.wearablesmartsensors.com/
 http://www.softwaresafety.net/ http://www.designer-iii.com/