Re: [avr-chat] Automated access for document revision queries?

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Automated access for document revision queries?
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 00:22:54 +1100

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 08:36:48AM +0000, Ruud Vlaming wrote:
> To bad, i have 91 documents (appnotes, datasheets etc) which i need
> to check. I guess i have to do that manually now.

Ruud, if nothing else is available, then a small amount of scripting
might help? If the documents were grouped in directories by project,
then an elementary shell script with a wget invocation for each document
could fetch a fresh project set each time you return to that project.

To avoid the need to even compare dates between the old and the new (in
a download directory, unless overwriting regardless) the script could
also flag which files have changed.

Since most embedded projects use chips from multiple vendors, something
like that would probably be easier than trying to whip all the vendors
into line.

While email reporting of failed downloads could later be added, it's
easier to occasionally glance at its progress manually, to begin with.

I'd rather do that than check 91 documents manually. (Don't like
repetition; haven't watched TV since 1991, because of the ads.)

Erik

--
Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking.
                                                      -- Bram Moolenaar