Re: [avr-chat] Missed Optimisation ?

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Missed Optimisation ?
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 07:27:26 -0500

Pertti Kellomäki wrote

If you think of avr-gcc primarily as a tool that maps C programs to
the specific chips manufactured by Atmel, then the compiler indeed has
complete freedom to do whatever it wants as long as the external
behavior of the chip (i.e. the physical pins) is in accordance with
the source program.

That might be going a bit too far. When debugging a program, I like to be able to follow along the logic I expressed in the source code, so I would not be happy if it had changed beyond all recognition. I prefer the compiler to follow the standard except where there is no alternative but to deviate and maybe a few well-documented exceptions, such as the SBI thing.

As noted, the behavior wrt. sbi probably violates the ANSI standard,
yet nobody gets upset because of the convenience value offered.

Something else to note here is that, as far as I remember, SBI is only used on special function registers that have no read side effect. So, the same knowledge of the AVR architecture that makes the use of SBI possible also ensures that it is safe, even with the target object declared volatile. To my mind, this is just something that should be clearly documented with one of those warning icons in the margin. In other words, I have no objection to this; I was just using it as an example of how subtle the semantics of volatile can be.

Graham.