Re: [avr-chat] Debugging contents of external SRAM (avrdude?)

From: Juergen Harms
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Debugging contents of external SRAM (avrdude?)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 18:16:10 +0200

On 08/05/2013 10:49 AM, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
Is your SRAM accessed through the standard XRAM interface (i.e.
mapped into the regular address space)?  If so, would AVaRICE +
GDB be a solution for you?

Yes, it is, I do access to external SRAM in the same address space as internal SRAM ("the regular address space") - from the point of view of programming, the only difference is allocating SRAM variables to a section that is mapped to just beyond the space of internal SRAM.

I had stopped using gdb after my "heroic" assembly programming past, will - following your suggestion - explore what I can do with AVaRICE + GDB (in fact, I realise that my question did not address how I physically access my part: as always, with a JTAGice Mark II sqid).

I progressed quite nicely - using eeprom to just make control bits that are piloted by avrdue steer the application to decide what to do is an adequate solution. The common-interest aspect of my question is: how to use avrdude-like tools to debug sram beyond internal sram, but within the regular ram address space (a segment of that space that survives reset after boot).

Thanks for picking up this question - Juergen