Re: [avr-chat] Debugging contents of external SRAM (avrdude?)

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Debugging contents of external SRAM (avrdude?)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 09:27:49 +0200 (MET DST)

Juergen Harms <address@hidden> wrote:

> The common-interest aspect of my question is: how to
> use avrdude-like tools to debug sram beyond internal sram, but within
> the regular ram address space (a segment of that space that survives
> reset after boot).

As I said, AVRDUDE concentrates on using the tools through their
programming features.  SRAM is not included there, since it cannot be
"programmed".

What you want requires debugging features.  Obviously, the
prerequisite is an adapter that can do debugging at all (like your
JTAGICEmkII), but much of the protocol handling is different between
programming and debugging, so adding that to AVRDUDE would duplicate a
lot of code that's already present in AVaRICE.

Of course, since the interface between AVaRICE and GDB is basically
documented (the GDB remote protocol), you could create your own
lightweight tool to talk to AVaRICE instead of the rather universal
(and heavy) GDB, just tailored to monitor/change a few SRAM bytes.

> Thanks for picking up this question - Juergen

I've been on vacation before, that's why I didn't answer earlier.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/