Re: [avr-chat] my USBasp programmer does not work but the one from ebay

From: David Gustavson
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] my USBasp programmer does not work but the one from ebay is working
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 10:52:11 -0700

Actually, inductance of the wires is also a potential problem.

With today's fast circuitry, wires should be kept as short as possible.

For some circuits, even using those breadboards is impractical.

Even 25 years ago I recall working with a circuit that would fail before
one wire got up to one inch (but that was at 250MHz).

The breadboard technique then was to mount the ICs upside down on solid
copper circuit board, and run wires as directly as possible and keeping
them as close as possible to the copper. Capacitors had to have
especially short leads. But for really fast chips you had to have
multilayer boards with narrow conductors carefully spaced in buried
layers.

So, long convenient wires are really asking for trouble. Wires are
inductors with capacitors between them and everything else, as well as
being resistors. They are components.

Dave