RE: [Axiom-developer] compiling the algebra files with gcl

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] compiling the algebra files with gcl
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:30:22 -0400

Camm, Tim, Juergen, et al.

I have just completed compiling the algebra source
provided by Juergen Weiss with no significant errors.
I now have a new running version of Axiom under
RedHat 8.0 that no longer fails the following test

> pgr := MonoidRing(Polynomial PrimeField 5, Permutation Integer)
> p:pgr := 1
> q:pgr := 1
> set [p,q]

What I did was:

 1) start with the old tenkan.org CVS version
 2) apply all the patches discussed to date on this list
    including the patch to bootsys discovered by Camm
 3) untar Juergen Weiss's version of the algebra files
    into the new axiom root directory
 4) modify the first line of the Makefile.inc to refer
    to the new root.
 5) issue a make from the root to build the whole system
 6) 11 hours later I have a new system.

I can send the log file containing the output of the make
if anyone is interested. The only errors that occured
were "%.EOF is not of type SEQUENCE" as noted below plus
numerous errors of the form "Unexpected HT command: \spad"
Apparently these are generated by the contents of some
comment lines like

  ++ \\spad{asinh(x)} returns the hyperbolic arc-sine ...

I will continue to test this new version against some
of the bugs that have been reported.

--------

I noticed that some of the floating bugs that I reported
a few weeks ago using the axiom.tenkan.org version are not
yet included at Savannah so I think I will start these.

---------

Tim, could you please send a few minutes and explain to
us the difference between what you are doing with the
new algebra makefile compared to what Juergen has done?

Thanks.

Bill Page.